We are so excited to be welcoming back all of our students and members to the athletic facilities. In order to safely enjoy your return to the facilities, please be sure to read the below information carefully prior to your first visit as some of our procedures have changed.
The most up to date version of our COVID-19 Policies can be found in our COVID-19 handbook.
Nov 20 UPDATE – transition to yellow
Effective Monday, November 23rd, Thunder Bay Region is being moved into the “Yellow Zone” of Ontario Response Framework.
The direct impacts on our facility are that reservations will be required to access the facility, and equipment must be 3m+ apart, as per the Ontario Guidelines.
As a result, there are some changes to our facility. We will be closed, Monday, November 23rd in order to implement these changes. We will reopen on Tuesday, November 24th with the below modifications.
Bookings will be required to access the facility
- Bookings can be made by active members only at luathletics.lakeheadu.ca, up to 5 days in advance of the workout date.These bookings grant you access to the Fieldhouse & Hangar, and are not specific to any certain areas. The limit is 50 people per booking.
- Day passes and punch passes will not be sold for the time being. Individuals can still purchase new memberships by emailing us.
- Active members will receive an email over the next few days with instructions for logging in and accessing their online account. If you do not receive an email, it is likely that we do not have an email on file for you so please email us with the below information:
- Full Name, Phone Number, Date of Birth, and Email Address
- Please take the time to test your online account out and email us with any access issues at email@example.com.
- Bookings must be made in advance. Walk-in’s will not be accepted.
- Members can call in during open hours to book over the phone if they are having issues with the online system.
- Instructions for booking can be found below.
- Our timeslots that will be available for booking are as follows. Each booking timeslot will have a 50 person capacity:
- 6:30 am – 7:45 am
- 8:00 am – 9:15 am
- 11:00 am – 12:15 pm
- 12:30 pm – 1:45 pm
- 2:00 pm – 3:15 pm
- 3:30 pm – 4:45 pm
- 5:00 pm – 6:15 pm
- 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Modified Equipment Access
- Certain equipment may be unavailable due to the 3m guideline. We will do our best to keep as much equipment available as possible within the guidelines.
Other Important Information
- Please complete the Ontario COVID Self-Assessment tool prior to your workout.
- When arriving for your booking, please be sure to wait 2m apart when in line
- Be sure to have your key tag or student card for scanning in, to help ensure a quick sign in process
- Please note that the pool will still be proceeding with reopening on Monday, November 30th, also with bookings required.
We appreciate your patience as we transition to this new system, and we look forward to working with you all to continue your access to safe fitness facilities.
The following steps are intended for those with online user accounts already set up and linked to their membership. If you have not yet contacted us to set up your online user account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can do so prior to your booking.
- Login to your account at luathletics.lakeheadu.ca
- Be sure to select the correct login option. “Local” is for all non-LU members, and “Lakehead User Login” is for current students, faculty, and staff only
- Click “Facility Bookings”
- Click “Fieldhouse & Hangar”
- Select the date you want to workout (Note that it will only allow for bookings up to 3 days in advance)
- Find your desired time
- Click “Book Now” next to your desired time
You should receive a confirmation email if done correctly
How to Cancel Your Online Booking
Option 1 – Cancelling Immediately After Booking
- Hit the 3 dots next to the word “Booked”, and select “Cancel Booking”
Option 2 – Cancelling after you’ve left the booking page
- Login to your account
- Click your username, and then click “Profile”
- Select bookings on the left hand side
- Select “cancel”
Nov 12 UPDATE
Updated Mask Usage Policy
Effective Thursday, November 13th, masks that securely cover your mouth, nose, and chin without gapping are required at all times in the facility. Temporary removal is permitted only while actively using cardio equipment or running on the track.
Guidance regarding proper fitting masks, and tips for handling common masks issues such as glasses fogging, can be found at the Thunder Bay District Health Unit website at this link.
This decision has been made in order to help keep our Thunderwolves family as safe as possible, and to reflect current trends in the industry and province.
We thank you for your understanding.
oct 14 UPDATE
New Open Gym and Field Policies
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves and health recommendations adapt, we are working hard to help ensure our facility is as safe as possible for all users.
Starting Thursday, October 15, there will be no basketball, soccer, or other contact sport game play permitted in the facility, even among individuals of the same household. Individual skill development is still allowed (e.g. you can still come work on your dribbling, shooting, etc.).
In addition, the basketball gym will now have a limit of 3 people per hoop. The field will have a maximum of 5 people. These new limits are to help ensure that members are abiding by the facility policy of maintaining 2m from other facility users at all times.
We are asking that individuals please try to limit their time in the gym and on the field to 1.5 hours to help ensure all individuals can access the area of the facility they desire. We’d like to remind all facility users they can access the capacity counter on our website at http://thunderwolves.ca/facility-capacity-counter/.
We appreciate everyone’s understanding that these new policies are in effect for your safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and evolve our policies as it is safe to do so. We look forward to when we can play again safely. Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
SEP 3 UPDATE
Updated Hours as of September 8th
Beginning on Tuesday, September 8th, the CJ Sanders and Fieldhouse will be operating using the following hours:
Monday to Friday
6:30 am – 9:30 am
11:00 am – 3:00 pm
3:30 pm – 7:30 pm
A friendly reminder that we are closed on Monday, September 7th due to the Holiday.
As we are extending our workout blocks, a capacity counter has been added to our website so members can check the capacity of various areas of the facility before their visit. The capacity counter can be found at this link: http://thunderwolves.ca/facility-capacity-counter/
Paid parking is required on campus as of September 1st. Members can use the mobile app Honk Mobile for hourly parking or permit purchase, as well as continue to use the pay and display machine in the parking lot. Members can also continue to purchase monthly permits at the Front Desk.
Members who had permits during the closure can email parking directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if they have a credit available to them. The Front Desk is not able to provide refunds or credits on parking passes.
Cashless Transaction Reminder
For individuals looking to make any purchases (new memberships, locker purchases, etc.), we would like to remind all individuals to please use a card for purchase whenever possible.
At this time for any individuals approaching a membership expiration, special 1 month memberships are available. We are not currently selling long term memberships as we prepare to launch our new membership structure in line with the Wolves Den facility opening.
A reminder that all users need to complete new waivers prior to their first visit. PDF’s of the waiver can be downloaded using the links in the Aug 16 update, or you can complete waivers online at luathletics.lakeheadu.ca if you have an online user account or are a Lakehead student, faculty, or staff. Members can email email@example.com to activate an online account if they would like. Waivers can also be completed at the front desk upon entry but may add some time to your check-in process.
AUG 16 UPDATE
The Fieldhouse will be reopening with modified hours below. Please read carefully, as the facility will have closures throughout the day where members will be required to vacate the building for cleaning.
The Fieldhouse & Hangar will be open Monday to Friday, starting Monday August 17th, during the following hours:
- 7:30 am to 9:00 am
- 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
- 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm
- 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
The entire Fieldhouse and Hangar will have a capacity of 100 during open hours. However, each space is limited to unique capacities within that (e.g. the gymnasium is limited to 24 individuals). Each space is first come first serve. Capacity signs are posted outside of each respective area.
Members are encouraged to limit their time lingering on machines in between sets, etc. to ensure members are able to use their desired areas of the facility.
What’s Opened & Closed
The following areas of the facility are open and available for use:
- Fieldhouse Weight Room
- Fieldhouse Gym (Designated for Basketball and Badminton. Please see below for additional details).
- Hangar Aerobics Studio
- Hangar Field
- Hangar Track (Inside 4 lanes only – outside 2 lanes are closed).
- Hangar Fitness Studio
- Changerooms (Locker Rental Use Only, No Day Use Lockers Permitted)
At this time, the following areas of the facility are closed to member use:
- Fieldhouse Cardio Room (Cardio equipment has been relocated to the Hangar)
- Fieldhouse Pool
- Changeroom Showers
- Changeroom Saunas
Your First Visit Back
All members will be asked to verify their contact information on file with us so we can ensure all necessary communications are getting to you promptly as needed
In addition, all members will be asked to complete an updated Facility & COVID-19 waiver prior to entering. This is mandatory and members will not be permitted to access without signing this waiver. Members are welcome to download the waiver here and bring it with them completed, or sign once they are the front desk.
Students, Faculty, and Staff can also digitally sign their waiver prior to arrival by logging in to their account at luathletics.lakeheadu.ca by clicking on the notifications in the top right.
NOTE: Members under the age of 17 need to have the parental endorsement section of the waiver signed by a parent/guardian.
Updated Facility Policies
- Masks are required. See Nov 12 Update above for details.
- Social Distancing (2 metres) must be maintained between users at all times.
- All individuals entering the facility will be required to sign a new waiver prior to using the facility. This can be pre-completed using the links above or can be completed upon arrival.
- We encourage the use of contactless check in and request that members bring their keytag/student card with them to check in.
- Members are asked to bring only what they need to work out, as day use lockers are not available at this time. Remember to bring a full water bottle with you.
- Members will be asked to clear and leave the building during our cleaning closures, as indicated in our facility hours above.
- For any purchases, members are being asked to use credit or debit for their transactions.
- It is important for all members to wipe down their equipment after use. Cleaning stations, equipped with containers of disinfectant for equipment, have been placed with increased frequency throughout the facility in exercise areas.
Updated Open Gym Policies
- The gym is currently divided into designated basketball and badminton areas. Nets are not to be moved at this time.
- Only singles badminton is permitted, unless players are from the same household/social bubble.
- All activities, including basketball skills (shooting, dribbling, etc.) must be practiced with at least 2 metres in between players
- Basketball games are not to be played at this time,
unless players are from the same household/social bubble. See Oct 14 details above.
Updated Open Field Policies
- All activities must allow for social distancing.
Soccer, and other sports that require close contact, may only be played between individuals from the same household or social bubble. See Oct 14 details above.
Updated Track Policies
- Please run in the same direction as other track users
- When passing other runners, please allow at least 1 lane of space in between runners and allow for 2 metres of distance between runners at all times
Memberships, Day Passes, and Facility Services FAQ’s
- Existing memberships have been automatically extended by the length of the closure, effective August 17th (the date of re-open). Questions regarding existing memberships can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- *Disclaimer: Membership extensions may be impacted by the new facility opening date, which is not yet determined. Further information will be provided to those impacted.
- Students are not required to have a summer membership at this time to access the facility. Any students with current student ID cards are welcome to visit the facility at no cost.
Purchasing a New Memberships
- New memberships will be sold by appointment only, and only 1 month memberships are available at this time. In order to purchase a new membership, please email email@example.com to set up a phone or in person appointment.
Existing Locker Rentals
- At member’s request, extensions of locker rentals impacted by the closure can be completed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you wish to have your locker contract extended by the number of days you were impacted by the closure.
New Locker Rentals
- New locker rental contracts are being sold by appointment only. In order to purchase a new locker, or renew an existing locker contract, please email email@example.com to set up an appointment to do so.
Day Use Lockers
- At this time, day use lockers are not available. Please be prepared to keep all items with you during your workout.
- At this time, towel services are not available.
- At this time, equipment rental is not available. Badminton users should bring their own racquets and birdies. The nets and poles are already up for use on the right hand side of the gymnasium.