ActiveU camps are recreational multi-sport and activity camps for children in grades 1-6. Our schedules rotate to incorporate a variety of sports include basketball, soccer, dodgeball, ball hockey, swimming and more! Our counsellors are all Lakehead University students, and we often have student-athletes on staff.
ActiveU has a strict no bullying or harassment policy, and we welcome all children into our camp environment.
March Break Camp 2023
Our March Break camp is currently at capacity – please visit this link to join the waitlist.
SUMMER CAMPS 2023
We are excited to welcome all of our new and returning ActiveU families for our 2023 Summer camps! Details regarding registration will be listed below. We encourage all families to thoroughly read through our information as we have some exciting changes for 2023. We encourage families to browse our Parent Info Guide as well!
Dates & Themes (For a day to day breakdown, click here)
- Week One – July 3rd to July 7th – Happy Holidays!
- Week Two – July 10th to July 14th – Game Show Week!
- Week Three – July 17th to July 21st – Ooey, Gooey & Messy Week!
- Week Four – August 14th to August 18th – Calling All Gamers!
- Week Five – August 21st to August 25th – Superhero Showdown!
Age Divisions – NEW GROUPS FOR 2023!
- Wolf Pup Division (children ages 6-7)
- Children who will be either 6 or 7 on July 1, 2023 should register for the Wolf Pup division.
- Lightning Division (children ages 8-9)
- Children who will be either 8 or 9 on July 1, 2023, should register for the Lightning division.
- Thunder Division (children ages 10-12)
- Children who will be either 10, 11, or 12 on July 1, 2023 should register for the Thunder division.
- Camp programming runs from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm daily.
- Drop-off is available between 8:30 am and 9:00 am for all campers. Early drop-off is available for an additional fee between 8:00 am and 8:30 am.
- Pick-up is available between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
What to Bring
- Clothing appropriate for running around/adaptable to the weather
- A nut-free lunch and snacks
- Swimming gear – Swim suit, towel, & bag for wet towel/suit.
- Refillable water bottle
- All of our camps will take place out of the Lakehead Athletics Facility, located at 955 Sanders Drive, Thunder Bay, ON.
- ActiveU Summer Camps are $235/child.
- Optional add-on costs:
- Swimming Lessons – $75/child
- Early Drop-Off (Can drop off starting at 8am instead of 8:30 am): $20/child
Please note that all children attending camp must be able to independently navigate the camp day when it comes to using the bathroom, changing for swimming, and meal times.
- Camp registration will be opening on Wednesday, March 8th at 12:00 pm for ActiveU Summer camps.
- Registration will close:
- When capacity has been reached OR
- 12:00pm the business day before camp (e.g. Friday June 30 for the July 3-7 camp week).
For online registration, click here!
Optional Camp Add-On: Learn to Swim Lessons
ActiveU is pleased to partner with Learn to Swim Thunder Bay to offer swim lessons to our campers within the regular camp day for an additional fee. If registered, campers will receive 30 minutes of instructional swim time, and will still have 30 minutes of free swim with the rest of their camp group.
From Learn to Swim Thunder Bay:
“Learn to Swim Thunder Bay Inc. is a privately run swimming school that has been teaching swimming to babies, children and adults for 31 years. We specialize in small group sizes for more repetition during lessons which results in faster learning. We aim to be able to provide this same atmosphere for the ActiveU participants. We will be dividing swimmers into 3 groups for each lesson and will do a hands on assessment of the swimmers on the first day to ensure they are in the correct group. Groups will be created with age as well as ability taken into consideration. We have developed a special one week program especially for Active U participants at significant discount to our regular lessons. At the end of their lessons, participants will receive a certificate outlining what they have learned as well as a guideline as to what level to register them the next time they enroll in lessons. Below is a brief description of our levels and what they will be learning.
- Beginner: submerging head under water, blowing bubbles for 3 seconds while submerged, front and back floats, front and back glides, roll over glides, jump in and return to safety. Distance swim of 5-10m
- Intermediate: rhythmic breathing 10 times under water, front swim with 3 high arms rolling to back or side for a breath, back swims, deep water activities ( jumping, treading water). Distance swim of 15 to 25m
- Advanced: rhythmic breathing 15 times under water, front crawl, back crawl, whip kick on back, introduction to breaststroke, diving, treading water. Distance swim of 25 to 50m”
Instructions for Registering:
- Navigate to our registration portal at: https://luathletics.lakeheadu.ca/
- Log in to your account by clicking “Sign In” at the top right of our registration portal. Be sure to use the main username/email box to sign in, unless you are a lakehead faculty, student, or staff. If you are a current lakehead faculty, student, or staff with a MyInfo login, please select “click here for Lakehead User login” and use those credentials.
- For first time users, hit “sign up” at the bottom of the pop up box. Please create your user account using the parents information. Do not create the account in your child’s name.
- If you do not remember your username or password, you can hit “trouble logging in” to get your username sent to you or request a password reset email. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for account access support
- Navigate to your program of choice by going to Program Registration, selecting the classification “Youth Programs”, and then selecting the correct “Semester (which is Spring/Summer for summer camps, or Winter for March Break Camps”. You can narrow your search further by “Category” if desired (ActiveU, Basketball, etc.)
- Select your desired program.
- Click “Register” next to the offering you are wanting to register for. Then, click “register” next to your child’s name. If your child is not there, click “add a family member” to create their profile
- If the register button is missing, it is likely that you or your child are missing a birthday on your profile! You can edit or add birthdays by hitting your username in the top right corner of the page. You’ll need to change the ‘Viewing As’ person to the individual whose birthday you are trying to change, and then can hit the edit button.
- Complete the camp registration steps
- For the waiver page, be sure to click on the grey box and then sign in the white pop up box
- For the custom prompts, make sure you have selected a response for all required questions
- Check out
- You will receive a confirmation email if registration has been completed correctly.