Join the Thunderwolves Hockey team for our summer camps! With a wide variety of options from general skill development to position specific camps, your child will have a fun experience, while developing their skills!
Please note ALL hockey camps are coed!
Our Summer 2022 Camp Line up is as follows. For camp specific descriptions, please scroll down.
- Skill Development Camps
- Aug 8 to 12th:
- U9 – 10:00 am to 11:30 am
- U11 & U13 11:30 am to 1:00 pm
- U15 & U18 – 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm
- Aug 15 to 19th
- U9 – 10:00 am to 11:30 am
- Aug 8 to 12th:
- Position Specific Camps (Dates Vary):
- Offensive Skills & Tactics – Aug 15th to 19th – 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
- D Camp (U11, U13, and U15) – Aug 15 to 19th – 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Goalie Camp – Aug 22nd to 26th – 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Tryout Camps (Aug 22 to 26th)
- U9 & U11 Tryout Camp – 10:00 am to 11:30 am
- U13 & U15 Tryout Camp – 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
- Power Skating Camps (Aug 29 to Sep 2nd)
- U9 – 9:00 am – 10:30 am
- U11 & U13 – 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
- U15 & U18 – 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
Location: All camps take place at Port Arthur Arena. Please note the location change from last year!
Cost: All Hockey camps are $240 and include a hockey jersey.
Registration Dates: Registration will open for all camps on Friday, April 15th at 12:00 pm and close the Friday prior to each camps start date at 12:00 pm.
COVID Guidelines: At this time, the Ministry of Health is still issuing guidelines to day camps regarding COVID safety protocols. As details get released to us, we will update those on our webpage and share with registered families.
Registration instructions can be found at the bottom of the page. Have questions about the camp programming? Please contact Kody at firstname.lastname@example.org. For assistance with actual registration, please contact email@example.com
U9 Skill Development Camp Description – Aug 8 to 12 and 15 to 19
This camp runs from 10:00 am – 11:30 am, August 8th to 12th AND Aug 15 to 19th at Port Arthur Arena.
The program allows participants to be a part of a team setting, develop self confidence and be introduced to new concepts. Our on-ice coaches are devoted to communication, teaching skills, leadership, skill analysis and safety and risk management. The skills curriculum includes working on skating, shooting and stickhandling mechanics to ensure the participants are able to build a strong foundation of hockey skills.
U11 to U15 Skill Development – Aug 8 to 12
U11 & U13 Group runs from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm, Aug 8 to 12. U 15 & U18 Group runs from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Both groups are at Port Arthur Arena.
This camp features development of Skating, Shooting, and Stickhandling!
Skating: Our coaches will breakdown a player’s mechanics for improving individuals agility, speed and skating technique. The players will run through progressive style drills to help optimize a player’s stride length, posture and skating movements.
Shooting: This station will be used for the development of your shot through multiple shooting techniques and scenarios. Players will run through specific drills to develop shooting in stride, changing shooting angles and shot fakes to optimize a players deceptiveness, shot power and quick release.
Stickhandling: The core teachings of our puck handling stations is being in a productive posture with all movements. The instructors will run the players through several drills to develop puck protection, creativity and small area skills which will allow them to become stronger attackers and more deceptive with the puck.
D Camp (U11, U13, and U15) – Aug 15 to 19
This camp runs from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm, Aug 15 to 19 at Port Arthur Arena.
Our defense camp for focuses on developing the necessary skills to become an elite contributor on both sides of the puck. Our coaches will run this group through a series of drills with an aim to develop positional awareness, zone exits, zone entries and develop offensive awareness and skills. We look at:
- Angles, body and stick positioning and net positioning
- Open ice and stick checking
- Odd-man rushes
- Gap control
- Zone coverage
- Breakout options
- Transitioning, jumping into the play
Offensive Skills (U13/U15) – Aug 15 to 19
This camp runs from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm, August 15th to 19th, at Port Arthur Arena.
This skate will provide ways to create offense in all areas of the ice through various tactics of creating space, attacking defenders and productive positioning.
Goalie Camp – Aug 22 to 26
Goalie camp runs from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm, August 22nd to 26th, at Port Arthur Arena.
Your goalie gets special attention in this hockey camp program, where we develop skills specific for goaltenders. This camp focuses on:
- Lateral movement
- Tracking the shooter
- Controlling rebounds
- Reacting/positioning for second shot opportunities
- Puck handling and passing
- Skating skills
- Game preparation
Tryout Camps – Aug 22 to 26
There are two divisions for this camp:
- U9&U11 Group – Runs from 10:00 am to 11:30 am, Aug 22nd to 26th at Port Arthur Arena.
- U13&U15 Group – Runs from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm, Aug 22nd to 26th at Port Arthur Arena.
Designed for players & goalies attending AA tryouts with specific instruction for goalies, forwards and defenseman
This camp will include:
- Conditioning drills to improve cardio fitness
- Contact drills to develop physical play confidence
- Read and react game situation drills
- Individual and team tactics
- Full ice games and corrections
- Goaltenders – review and practice all technical aspects
- Forwards & Defencemen – offensive/defensive responsibilities in all 3 zones
- High tempo battling drills (1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3)
Power Skating Camps – Aug 29 to Sep 2
There are 3 divisions for Power Skating Camps, all Aug 29th to Sep 2nd at Port Arthur Arena.
- U9 – 9:00 am to 10:30 am
- U11/13 – 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
- U15/U18.- 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
This camp will includes facilitation on:
- Drills for acceleration and speed
- Forward and backwards skating (striding and crossovers)
- Drills for turning, pivoting, and stopping
- Balance and agility training
- Skating improvement through high tempo drills
*Note – Jerseys are not included in the power skating camp*
- Navigate to our registration portal at: https://luathletics.lakeheadu.ca/
- Log in to your account by clicking “Sign In” at the top right of our registration portal. Be sure to use the main username/email box to sign in, unless you are a lakehead faculty, student, or staff. If you are a current lakehead faculty, student, or staff with a MyInfo login, please select “click here for Lakehead User login” and use those credentials.
- For first time users, hit “sign up” at the bottom of the pop up box. Please create your user account using the parents information. Do not create the account in your child’s name.
- If you do not remember your username or password, you can hit “trouble logging in” to get your username sent to you or request a password reset email. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for account access support
- Navigate to your program of choice by going to Program Registration, selecting the classification “Youth Programs”, and then selecting the correct “Semester (which is Spring/Summer 2022 for summer camps”. You can narrow your search further by “Category” if desired (ActiveU, Basketball, etc.)
- Select your desired program.
- Click “Register” next to the offering you are wanting to register for. Then, click “register” next to your child’s name. If your child is not there, click “add a family member” to create their profile
- If the register button is missing, it is likely that you or your child are missing a birthday on your profile! You can edit or add birthdays by hitting your username in the top right corner of the page. You’ll need to change the ‘Viewing As’ person to the individual whose birthday you are trying to change, and then can hit the edit button.
- Complete the camp registration steps
- For the waiver page, be sure to click on the grey box and then sign in the white pop up box
- For the custom prompts, make sure you have selected a response for all required questions
- Check out
- You will receive a confirmation email if registration has been completed correctly.