The mission of Lakehead University’s ActiveU is to create a positive difference in the lives of children and youth through a student-centered learning approach to cooperative physical activity and educational programs.
Our Program Goals are:
- Provide a positive and enjoyable program through great leadership by staff and volunteers
- Involve children in a variety of activities
- Demonstrate and teach youth that learning is both fun and valuable.
- Provide children with hands-on activities in a variety of disciplines
- Assist children and youth in increasing their self-confidence and social skills with others.
- Encourage children and youth to develop their interest and skills in a wide variety of settings.
- Motivate children and youth to stay in school and to feel comfortable on a university campus.
Looking to volunteer with ActiveU this summer? ActiveU has two options for youth looking to complete volunteer hours:
- The Leader-in-Training Program – this program provides both certifications (Bronze Med/Emergency First Aid) and 40 hours of volunteer work with the ActiveU camp program. Participants in this program will also receive approximately 15 hours of leadership development activities provided by ActiveU staff. Leader-in-Training program candidates must be entering grades 9 or 10 in September 2023.
- Volunteer Only – for participants who are simply looking to complete hours, you can fill out our online application here. Please note we have a limited number of volunteer hour only positions, as priority will be given to Leader-in-Training candidates.